July 29, 2009

I'm growing up

Stop the presses. The other night I actually made dinner, from start to finish, all by myself. As in, no boyfriend to do most of the work in the kitchen (or all of it, as he does 99.9% of the time). I did it all ON MY OWN. While this isn't a big deal for most self-actualized adults, it (sadly) is for me and my cooking-challenged brain. On the menu? Salad with roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes, cranberries, goat cheese and balsamic dressing, followed by farfalle pasta with roasted carrots, onions, tomatoes, and zucchini, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. I actually quite liked the little meal I whipped up, especially the roasted veggies and pasta. The sweetness of the carmelized veggies + starchiness of the pasta = YUM.

Now, I realize that anyone with half a brain could pull off cooking such simple dishes, but hey, I'm not about to let this quiet grain of truth rain on my parade. For me, this impromptu meal is quite an achievement and has inspired me to crack open my dusty, previously untouched cookbooks so I can try my hand at more yummy recipes. I never thought the day would come when I would actually cook, but, alas, it is here. T is mighty happy about the prospect, I might add.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm proud of you!

Taryn said...

i notice mushrooms didn't quite make it in to the recipe. oh wait, you probably ate them before they got to the bowl.

Joanna said...

Lindsay: Aww, thanks. :-)

Tartar Sauce: You know, I had actually contemplated throwing mushrooms into the mix, but I thought it best if I stayed faithful to the cookbook the first time around. I'll definitely include those bad boys next time!

Arianna Belle said...

i hardly ever cook either (my husband is the cook in our house) but when i do its a total accomplishment! that looks so yummy!!!

Joanna said...

Arianna: Lucky you to have a husband who cooks. Does he clean, too? ;-)