May 2, 2011

The Stuff of Fairytales

Last Friday, like countless other questionably insane Americans who eschewed a restful night's sleep for a little bit of storybook glamour, I stayed awake through the wee hours of the morning to watch the live televised broadcast of the English royal wedding of Prince William and his bride Kate Middleton (now officially the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge). I have to admit, it was rather fun to participate in something so historical, so teeming with importance (depending on your view of the British monarchy and its place in society, of course; being an American and therefore rather like an observer looking into a very colorful fishbowl, I am somewhat intrigued by the royal family). I doubt I will ever do the same for another event of this calibre ever again, so I figured I may as well try it on for size now. And I have no regrets. Despite - or maybe even because of - the state of the world right now, it's a lovely thing to witness an act of true love on such a grand, magnificent scale.

But apart from all that, it's just fun watching a parade of pretty, flowy dresses and fantastical hair adornments in what can only be described as a circus act of colossal proportions. Best of all, the bride looked exquisite in her Alexander McQueen gown, designed by Sarah Burton. Elegant, graceful, and serene, Kate was already a queen before it was made official last week. I wish them both much luck and love.

P.S. The grumpy bridesmaid in the first photo just might be my favorite part of all - the icing on a deliciously decadent wedding cake.

{Images via NY Mag}

No comments: