June 21, 2009

Summer Solstice

This summer solstice held all the auspicious elements of what is sure to be a superb summer: slept in late; went for a walk in perfect sunshine (which felt like a balm after too many weeks of June Gloom, a commmon Southern California affliction at this time of year); tried the newly opened cafe/bakery, Huckleberry (they use organic and local ingredients, and it's owned and operated by an adorable married couple whose love and enthusiasm for food is apparent as soon as you walk in. It's a real foodie's place); wished my father a happy Father's Day; enjoyed a particularly challenging and purifying yoga class; made dinner with T and hosted a good friend who was alone this Father's Day (it's not a sad story, he will be reunited with wife and son soon!); feasted on burrata and heirloom tomato salad, strawberries dipped in chocolate and red wine; and most impressive and joyful of all, I did not set foot into a car today--walking everywhere was absolute bliss! It was a pretty great day, if I do say so myself. Proof is in the pudding below.

I snapped a couple quick shots of Huckleberry's interior as I waited for my soy latte (which was delicious). I really took to the country-like freshness of the decor. I didn't feel like I was in LA, which is a welcome feeling, let me tell you.

The camera on my blackberry simply does not do these baked goods justice. I wanted to sample every single one. I made do with the croissant and raisin scone. Divinely buttery and flaky in the most perfect way.

Burrata is to caprese salad what sugar is to chocolate chip cookies. It's simply not acceptable with out it. Undoubtedly, burrata is one of the most delectable cheeses I have ever had the pleasure to devour. It's rather hard to find, but Andrew's Cheese Shop on Montana didn't disappoint. We nabbed their last one.

I only now just realize that food is the dominating theme of today's post. Which sort of makes sense, if you think about it. There's something about summer that is so life-affirming and of the moment. Summer is a time for enjoying the simple pleasures of life: appreciating nature, spending quality time with friends, savoring good food. These moments are so ephemeral and time moves so quickly, which is something I've been shocked to discover as I grow older. It's important to take hold of these moments and be truly grateful for being alive and well enough to enjoy them. Kind of saccharine, I know, but I can't help it. Blame it on the first day of summer. Who knew that such a sunshine-filled day would provoke such contemplation? Isn't that what grey, rainy days are for?

6 comments:

erin said...

yum! sounds like such a deliciously wonderful weekend!

Joslyn said...

this place looks FANTASTIC. love the decor, the food looks great...love it all!

Joanna Goddard said...

YUMMY!!!!! sounds like so much fun. i love this sweet post. and burrata is totally amazing, i wish i could eat it every day!! :)

Mary-Laure said...

I MUST go there. Mouthwatering.

Unknown said...

mmm, looks good! is huckleberry in santa monica? i need to go!
xox
www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Huckleberry looks SOOO good! I'll have to make a point to visit the next time I'm in SoCal!