August 16, 2011

Movie Night at the Aero

On Saturday, I hit up my local cinema to watch the oh-so-poignant and beautifully shot film classic On Golden Pond (I suggest you go watch it if you haven't already; it's a touching story of a couple in the golden years of their life and the father's strained relationship with their daughter, and in this case, art imitated life, as the two Fondas in the film, Henry and Jane, weren't exactly on the fuzziest of terms. Oh, and it also stars Katharine Hepburn. Is that enough of a reason for you? Go see it!). In celebration of the film's 30th anniversary, the Aero Theatre had a showing and invited director Mark Rydell to view the film with the audience (I sat behind him! Squeal!), and afterward he participated in a Q&A. His anecdotes were informative and very entertaining. In one story, he told of how the inhabitants of Squam Lake, which was where they filmed the movie in New Hampshire, were reluctant to let the studio film in their neighborhood (which is understandable). That is, until Katharine Hepburn showed up at their town meeting one day and pretty much told them point-blank, "You will let us film here." End of story. As only a badass like Katharine Hepburn can do.

Did I mention that it's highly possible that I was the youngest person in the audience? Maybe this is why I wasn't successful in enticing anybody to go with me. What do people have against the elderly? Sheesh. So typical of our youth-obsessed culture! We're all heading that way folks, and some faster than others. But then again, I've always embraced my geriatric tendencies - e.g. I don't like loud music. I love a good fireplace, with book in hand. And I've been known to use the term "whippersnapper". When I reach the age Katharine Hepburn was while making the film, I hope to be half as awesome as she was: fiery, eternally optimistic, and still diving into ponds on the brink of turning 70.

On a tandem note, I stumbled upon this recent interview with Jane Fonda and Charlie Rose. Apparently, she has a new book coming out, and in the interview, she talks a lot about her life and the things she's learned along the way, and what she had to say is really quite riveting. She also talks about making On Golden Pond with her father around the 38:00 mark (the entire interview is just under 50 minutes). Click here.

{Photos via here and here}

No comments: