February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

I heart Valentine's Day. There, I said it. I know a lot of people don't, and I can certainly see why people are disenchanted with the day itself - as if there isn't already enough pressure to find love, now there's a holiday to emphasize it (if I may loosely quote Charlie Brown). But I don't necessarily equate the day with romantic love, although the holiday can certainly encapsulate it. My sentiments are thus: why not be generous and spread the love around a little? Whether it's your zany twin nieces or your grandmother who lives too far away or the neighbor's crafty, but adorable cat who likes to use your patio as her own private salon, there are other types of love worth celebrating, not only on a day like today, but every day. So shower someone with a little love, and include yourself while you're at it. Splurge on that sexy perfume you can't get enough of or indulge in sinfully decadent chocolate. You only live and love once. 


P.S. My favorite mini essay on Valentine's Day. Spending the day with a glass of excellent wine + well-written novel = my kind of day. 


{Image via Pinterest}

No comments: