January 20, 2009

Let the healing begin

I cannot believe that today we finally get a new President. Has our country ever before reached such feverish heights over a new commander-in-chief? Between the paintings, t-shirts, and songs, along with the unadulterated hope and belief in change that Obama has inspired, as a nation we have become Obama-obsessed. And I’m no better than the rest. I’ve become absolutely consumed with anything and everything to do with the inauguration. Not owning a television on which to watch and hear the latest information makes my obsession somewhat difficult to satiate, which only serves to feed it even more. I catch hour-long glimpses of the latest CNN offerings at the gym, and to and from work I tune into NPR in my car and I read the latest happenings online, but I hardly feel as though this is enough. I need details. As in, how many people will be moving the Obama family into the White House and when, exactly will that happen? While he’s being sworn into office? How much stuff are they bringing? How are they decorating their new abode to make it more their own? What happens with the Obamas’ Chicago residence? What kind of dog did they finally get for Malia and Sasha? You know, all the important stuff. Thankfully, I'll be getting my Obama fix by watching the inauguration at work today, along with the rest of the United States.

We’ve been told that change will be a long time coming and that we shouldn't set our expectations too high. I completely agree with this assessment and am aware that for awhile a lot of us will continue to struggle. But at least we're struggling towards the light, towards a positive change we wish to see in this country. And that in itself is inspiring. Happy Inauguration Day!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

At this point, I'm not even thinking about expectations. I just have hope, and it's such a good feeling. I hadn't realized how un-hopeful I'd been feeling until they announced the election results.
Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

What a day it was! I felt the same way about being FASCINATED by all things inauguration. I listened to NPR all day and even loved the parade coverage when the announcers were like, 'yup, they're in the car. the car is rolling slowly down the street. still in the car'. it didn't matter that they were playing the same stories over and over---i just wanted to be a part of it!

here's to a bright new era :)